Silkie/Blue Copper Marans chick!! Easter baby💗

Jun 13, 2017
Minnesota
Look at these cuties! They hatched today, on Easter!! Anyway, I am SUPER suprised. The silkie mix chick, the one with the black spot, the silkie hen who is her mother is pitch black, and the rooster is the blue copper marans. The other chick has the same father and a white easter egger mother. They both got feathered feet, from the marans and the silkie, and the easter egger mix looks to have puffy cheeks..! The silkie mix has dark skin but not totally black, a slightly vaulted skull, a slightly dark beak, but yellow legs, and the extra silkie toe! She is slightly smaller than the regular size chick, but bigger than a bantam chick.
20200412_100430.jpg
20200412_082831.jpg
Any guesses on color? I was totally expecting the silkie mix to be completely black, and the easter egger mix to be a light grayish..

if it was pure silkie the skin and feet would be black not white so neither is a silkie mix and if the so called silkie was black all chicks would be blue and black so your chick is a different mix
Would you like to see a picture of the mother? She is totally black, legs, skin, you name it. She is a purebred Silkie. The babies in the pictures above are NOT purebred. The chick in the picture above is mixed with a purebred Silkie and a purebred Blue Copper Marans rooster. I specifically bred them together and picked out that egg. I have no other roosters or bantam chickens, so I know for certain that those are the parents, and I know the parents' lineage as well.

Would you like to see a picture of the mother? She is totally black, legs, skin, you name it. She is a purebred Silkie. The babies in the pictures above are NOT purebred. The chick in the picture above is mixed with a purebred Silkie and a purebred Blue Copper Marans rooster. I specifically bred them together and picked out that egg. I have no other roosters or bantam chickens, so I know for certain that those are the parents, and I know the parents' lineage as well.
if the chicks mother was a silkie the chick would have black skin and feet and the chick would also be blue or black as when breeding a blue to a black half are blue half are black so you wouldn't get a white chick out of that at all the one with the spot would be from the white ee hen as white is recessive thats why it has a spot

I know, and this is why this is so weird! I only have 2 hens with this rooster. 1 easter egger that lays large green eggs, and the black Silkie. The eggs I got were most certainly from her. I can go out to my coop and take pictures to prove every word of what I am saying. I have no clue why this chick is white and it most certainly should not be, as I said in my original post, and this is crazy! I am super excited to see what color her feathers will be! She inherited the extra toe that Silkies have from her mother, so I know for sure that the silkie is the mother. I have no other silkies either.

Back
Top Bottom