Silkie boy or girl? (about 4 months old)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by muffi, Jul 18, 2008.

1. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    My daughter's partridge silkie has always acted and sounded like a hen. Until this morning, when she fluttered out of the coop and made the quietest little crow! We got her at a swap and don't know her age. I'm guessing she has to be at least 4 months old, because she was already much bigger than my now-3 month old silkies. She has no red in her comb, no wattles, but she did sprout some long feathers on her head. Please tell me what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Can't help you with sexing, but that's one beauty!!! I don't think Silkies get red in their combs or wattles, though. I think they are all black.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm not even on the same planet as Silkie experts so I don't know ... but, I got my first two Silkies this year and have learned a few things.

Silkie combs and wattles are supposed to be black. They can be red but I read that that's either a fault or disqualification (Can't remember which) if you are showing them. If you aren't showing or breeding for showing ... who cares!

Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex until they either crow or lay an egg.

I'm guessing your's is a Roo (remember... key word from me is 'guessing'), just because of the size of the comb and the longer head feathers.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Thats a boy.

5. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    For comparison, this is my 3 month old boy whom I've known the gender of since he was 2 months. He has wattles and some reddishness in his comb.

Can hens have the two little points on the top back part of their combs or is it just the roos?

[​IMG]

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I'm going to say cockerel. Silkies don't get red in their combs, not a desirable trait anyway. So I would say the very dark comb is a good thing! Also no wattles really on bearded silkies. And the streamers in his crest would indicate boy to me also.
    He's a pretty boy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Gosh, I hope it lays an egg and you can keep it. But I've also heard that Silkie roos are pretty quiet when they crow. [​IMG]

8. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I wish my boys knew about the quiet crowing when it comes to silkies! LOL All mine are pretty darn loud and obnoxious. But maybe because I have so many, they feel the need to outdo one another!
    [​IMG]

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately a cockerel.

10. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I say boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by