Silkie boy

lynxs1981

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
What do you guys think about this comb? It seems odd for a silkie to me. Cross maybe?
P8090314.jpg

Is it a single comb? The color is way off, of course, but I am more interested in the shape. Can you get a head on picture and another side picture, both with the feathers pulled away from the comb to get a better idea of it?

It resembles a single comb, but it's not straight. Kinda looks like a mix between a single and silkie combs.
P8090310b.jpg

P8090310a.jpg

That would be a pea comb; 1/2 of the genes needed for a walnut comb. Most likely both parents were split for rosecomb, and he ended up inheriting its lack from each.

Aww, poor little guy. So it's unlikely he will produce chicks with a trad silkie comb?

If mated to a bird with a correct walnut comb, at least 50% of the offspring should have a correctly shaped comb. Possibly 100%. However, the issue could show up again in his offspring. Recessive genes can show up generations later.

Is there something specific to look for in the hen's comb? I would like to breed him to a proper hen, do they get the walnut comb also, just smaller?

Back
Top Bottom