Silkie Breed Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jun 22, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Songster

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Hi!
    I have 6 three-four week old silkies, 4 b/b/s and 2 partridge. very cute. I was wondering if there were little signs or indicators I could be looking for in terms of gender...1 partridge and 1 black are a bit bigger then the others, and are quite noisey compared to the others. Just their personality or signs of a roo? I have no idea if im starting to see any kind of acorn comb and what not, this is my first time, and they are pretty small still. Any input? Thanks!

2. robin416

robin416 Songster

Feb 6, 2007
    You're going to have to wait a good bit more before you can determine sex. And depending on the breeding you might still be guessing a year from now.

Although after a few years you can start making guesses without a crow or an egg but like I said, in a few years.

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    [​IMG] I can usually tell by 3-4 months. I have been wrong a few times though! [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree with Robin. There is a the rare bird I can tell pretty early, but...most not. With greys and parrtidge can sometimes tell earlier, as the colour patterns are different for the boys and girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by