Silkie breeders/owners South Africa

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nanna34, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Nanna34

Nanna34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone, thought I would start a thread for Silkie breeders/owners in South Africa. Would love to hear from anyone who breeds or own Silkies in SA with loads of pics of course [​IMG]. I love showing of my roo and hens whenever I can.

I'm new to Silkies I currently have the following in my silkie flock:
    1 white roo
    2 white hens
    1 black hen
    1 silver hen
    1 brown hen (she is still with the breeder I bought her from)
    1 white show quality chick
    1 black show quality chick
    2 show quality chicks (still with the breeder)

I currently have 11 eggs in the incubator they are due to hatch soon

pics of the flock:

Silkies roaming with my goslings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    show quality chicks
    [​IMG]

Please please please be a roo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    White and black hens
    [​IMG]
    the day I got my chow quality chicks
    [​IMG]
    My silver hen
    [​IMG]
    brown hen
    [​IMG]
    My white roo with his two hens (got them for cheap from a lady that did not want them anymore) they are not show quality but the roos comb is so unique and beautiful. I was not planning on breeding with them at first but I have people asking me for chicks from this roo a lot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hen in the front is Satin she has survived heat stroke and an iguana attack (her nickname is now Super girl) she is my ultimate favourite she is so loving and is a great pet for the girls, she gives me 5 eggs a week.
    [​IMG]

2. Cracked SA

Cracked SA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    What a variety! All your silkies look wonderful!
    I first bought a 1month old pair from an Indian fellow who stayed near me, and then later another hen at 1 week of age... only to discover that the "pair" was infact 2 hens, and the baby hen was infact a rooster.
    None of these are show quality, but I am unable to part with this weird trio! :p

I am trying to put up pics but its proving to be a challenge.

My one hen has laid over 3 dozen eggs now, while the other hasn't lain one. I've had them for just under a year.
    When the hen started laying, I first let her sit on a clutch, but when she never hatched the eggs, i decided to incubate her next set.
    After collecting the eggs and setting them in the incubator, she laid another clutch and sat :D Funny enough she got it right and 8 days after the incubator clutch hatched, she hatched more eggs :lol:

OH! I forgot to mention that she wasn't faithful to her man and some of the 20 chicks had a Buff Pekin daddy :p

3. Nanna34

bwahahahaha that is funny, my silver hen tries to hatch rocks so I decided to give her some eggs to hatch (I'm an incubator addict)

I keep my Silkies separate so the roo is very happy with his hens no cheating going on, I have Australorps as well and really don't want that rooster getting to my hens he will crush them...

My two show quality chicks now, never really knew the difference until recently got these two with the one hen still toying with the idea of showing them.

4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

6 weeks old
    [​IMG]

4. Carin

Carin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    South Africa
    Showing chickens is a fascinating hobby as long as you can keep your cool and learn. It feels sometimes like someone is insulting your children when you get bad comments on a show. It took me more than two years to get the courage to do my first show and I think I was more nervous then than with my final exams.
    There is a lady in Uvongo that breeds Silkies. She is a walking encyclopedia and will share knowledge without a problem.
    She has a webpage also: https://chickenwired.wordpress.com/author/chickenwired/

5. Nanna34

Thanks for this I'm really enjoying my Silkies, I'm still deciding if I want to do shows. I have show quality australorps I think my roo will win a few prizes he is very good looking.

6. Nanna34

I have a Silkie with wryneck trying a herbal remedy and it seems to be working, poor little thing is only 5 weeks old.

My black hen is sitting on a full clutch of eggs (including some BA eggs) cant wait for the little fuzz balls, very curious to see what they will look like especially since they are Puffs chicks.

7. Carin

Carin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    South Africa
    Good Luck with the breeding. I think I am addicted to breeding

8. OLIVSG

OLIVSG New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    we would like to start raising silkies. Would anybody know where to find Silkie hens around Johannesburg / Pretoria / even a bit further?
    Thanks so much
    Olivier

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by