silkie breeders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muddyhorse, Jan 24, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I am trying to improve my silkies. whom would you recommend as a breeder. I am looking for eggs. Sassy silkies, Bobbi Porto, I know hatrick are very nice, any sugestions are welcome. right now I have some pet quality birds and maybe 5 I would consider SQ. I plan on selling the PQ birds i anybody is interested, very friendly and sweet.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    George Mihalik has very nice silkies. Bren of Paradise Silkies are very nice also.

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    The last word I had was that George sold out.

muddy, you would be much further along if you bought birds that already meet the criteria you need to improve your flock. You can purchase eggs but that is such a shot in the dark of what will actually hatch that its actually cheaper to purchase live birds.

4. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The last I talked to George he had whites and some PI's available. But, that was about a month ago. It is much better to buy started birds so that you can see what your getting. His are $500 per pair or $750.00 for a trio.

I have had some born with perfect toes and over a few months their toes look really bad. They are expensive to get started birds, but well worth the money in my opinion.

Bobbi has some really nice birds, so does Sunshine Silkies. They have really good prices on their birds too.

I don't think you would go wrong with either Breeder that has been mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    thanks for the advice. Started birds would be great but at this time I can't afford them. My daughter is in 4-h I was looking for some that would be competitive at that level. Last year her silkie roo won grand at our county fair. He was definately a pet quality bird. I think it is better for her to raise a bird from an egg or chick and have to work with it rather than be "given" a winning bird. any advice is appreciated

6. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Get ahold of sunshine silkies!! I love hers!! They are the best I think. [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't know if Inga Ladd is still raising silkies, but if so she would be close to home for you (she is in Missouri). I expect that anything she has would be of good quality.

8. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I also think that Bren's Partner is in Missouri. She would also be close to you.

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:George is completly Sold out! He sold out about 4 a month ago!

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, I spoke with him yesterday--he still has a few birds, but they are all spoken for [​IMG]

I am sad. I wish his health allowed him to keep his birds. I told him that now he needs to get his judging credentials.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by