Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Fancy Feathers, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    There has been an interest, and a need, of a thread for serious discussion and questions dedicated to showing Silkies and breeding quality birds and the genetics involved therein.
    All varieties and projects are welcome, and pictures are encouraged, but please lets limit this thread to serious dicussion of breeding towards the standard of perfection [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Great Idea Nancy [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. blessedchick

blessedchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2011
    As a brand new breeder/owner of Silkies I am excited to see this thread! Always working to improve my flock in the hope of showing someday...

1 person likes this.
  4. mystdogs

mystdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Ocala, FL
    Thank you for this new thread. I'm just starting on my silkie flock to show and breed from. How long do you wait before deciding to cull a bird from breeding? What makes the deciding factor between what makes show quality vs breeder quality? Why is there a difference and what makes the decision?
    I have 4 silkies that are now 3 months old. paint, black, splash, and partridge. I'm planning to order eggs of BBS and paint, as I'm limited on my space for breeding and would prefer to stick with one or two breeding pens.
    Here is Peepers, my partridge hen. I think she is the typiest of all my silkies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Very good idea![​IMG]

6. Lisa Pedro

Lisa Pedro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    Christmas, FL
    My Coop
    Pretty birds.

7. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Okay, to me she is not balanced - yet. Her crest needs to be larger to balance out that lovely "S" shape. Lovely coloring. How are her wings?

1 person likes this.
  8. chisNchickens

Apr 16, 2011
    In dogs as well as birds, a breeding quality animal is one with all the right stuff - proper conformation, no dqs, few faults - but just not necessarily stellar. You probably could show it, but it will take longer to finish or won't place well among the superb.

9. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    Thanks for starting this thread! I think it will be a great compliment to the other silkie threads.

10. chisNchickens

Apr 16, 2011
    I'd hate to see this thread die...I think critiques would be good. Feel free to critique away. This is a five month-old pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by