Silkie breeding questions - split wing

possumhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
So I was reading on some breeders website about silkies being prone to split wings. I'd never heard of it, but checked out my flock today and discovered that one of my birds that I was really excited about showing/breeding has split wing. My question is, since she has split wing, does that disqualify her from showing? Does that mean that I shouldn't breed her? Is it something that will get passed along to her offspring?

Thanks so much!

You can still show them but the judge will discount them for the wings hardcore. It is also another fault that will haunt you for generations if you breed from it. If the bird is absolutely exceptional in all other ways, breed from it but expect to do alot of hardcore culling. Sometimes on juveniles it 'looks' like this may be a problem but is actually just a gawky stage. Sometimes they outgrow it. You can usually see it on the adult bird. They just don't hold their wings tight to their body and tucked up under the cushion. When you spread the wing to inspect it, you will see a noticeable break in the flow of the feathers.

Here's a couple of good examples.... In all other aspects the bird is really nice. Wings are crap though.

PICT1205.jpg

PICT1239.jpg

Now compare it to these where the wing placement is correct...

000_0126.jpg

DSCN1025.jpg

She is 3.5 months old, so maybe she will outgrow it
smile.png

Good information, thank you so much! Just one more thing that I have to watch for I guess
roll.png
. I'm never going to get a perfect bird, lol!

Back
Top Bottom