Silkie breeding/showing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pearsjd, Jun 23, 2010.

1. pearsjd

pearsjd Chirping

Mar 17, 2007
    N. Central AL
    I'm new to showing and haven't competed before, but I am interested in trying. Currently I do not own any silkies, but I have had them in the past. I wanted to know what to look for in show quality ones. My first silkies were just pets, and probably not show quality, but they were fun and I haven't had any in a long time. So any advice would be useful (including where to get a few chicks in the future) Thanks.

Hannah.

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    the standard of perfection is very useful. look for dark combs, bright turquoise ear lobes, five well spaced toes with feathering to the middle toe. Go to some shows and meet breeders most are very helpful.
    [​IMG]

3. Gordonhillfarm

Gordonhillfarm Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    Hey Hannah
    I'm pretty new to byc myself . I've tryed to ask questions on other threads , people really aren't all that friendly to newbies here , so I went looking around at different threads and found a really great one for silkies , it's the Lav. silkie thread . They have a lot of really good teachings you just have to go read it from the begining . I'm on page 63 myself right . It does pertain to lav. silkie breeding but also gives show advice and genetic teachings , I've found it very useful . Hope this helps a little , from 1 newbie to another .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by