1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

silkie breeding, what about the broodies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Aug 6, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I will breed silkies soon and want to know what yous silkie breeders do when yours turn broody? I was thinking since I always have a few chicks around here, I could slip a chick under a broody as soon as she decides to brood. Would that work? About how many eggs do you get before they go broody?

Ohh one more question. When do you start getting rid of hens and roosters out of your breeding pens? After maybe 1 year? When do silkies stop laying? Should I get rid of all the hens after one generation and then just breed the father X's daughters?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:A broody needs a certain amount of time before she is ready for chicks. Give a broody who has been on the nest for a week a chick and you will end up with a dead chick. Give her a chick when she has been on the nest for 3 weeks and she MAY mother it.

Many breeders have birds that are 2-3 years old. Or older. I have silkies who are 8+ who still lay.

3. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    So I could breed and hatch from a quad for up to 8 year? Wow I didn't k ow that. I thought I should sell them after a year.

4. robin416

robin416 Songster

Feb 6, 2007
    I have one that is five and like clock work she goes broody twice a year and hatches out her brood.

You might get lucky enough to have one that will let you add chicks to those she's already raising. And I have another that no other bird but her mate can be in the pen when she has chicks. They are all different in what they'll accept and how long they lay. Only time will tell you what you've got.

5. When do you start getting rid of hens and roosters out of your breeding pens? After maybe 1 year?

I have 2 roosters and 2 hens that are approaching on 2 years old. They will stay with me for another 2 or so years. Then I will probably sell them off.

Also, just my opinion, I dont like using broodies. I like doing the incubating myself in my incubators, and brooding them up in brooders, instead of with a hen. Makes it much easier for me.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: