Silkie Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RoosterAddict99, Sep 11, 2012.

1. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Hi, fellow chicken lovers! When I first started with chickens, I wanted silkies. I still do! I've decided to order 21 silkies from Ideal Hatchery. The colors I'm getting are: Black, White, Partridge, Blue, Grey, Buff and Red. I am buying 3 of each variety. I intend to breed them. I am entirely new at breeding chickens and need some advise! Please! I have quite a few questions, probably silly ones, that I would appreciate your thoughts on: #1. My dad only wants me to have one silkie rooster so,if I breed a rooster of one variety to hens of different varieties will thier offsring still be pure bred? Or should I focus on one variety and use the hens of different colors for broody hens? Does that all make sense? #2. If I breed a bearded silkie with a non-bearded silkie will the offspring have a beard or not? #3.What variety is the most popular (so that I can sell chicks straight run) #4. I don't show chickens (I'll cross that bridge when I get to it) so how do I know if I can sell a silkie for pet or show quality? #5. What kind of setup do I need specifically to breed them? Alright, I'm sure I will have lots more questions so, be prepared for that![​IMG] Thanks everyone!!!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I dont have all answers for you !, But if you are getting them from Hatchery, they will sell as "PETS" , they will not be the best qualities. In order to get good quality silkies, you need to get it from a private breeder. as for color of breed keep in mind what you are interested the most. Crossed breeding can come out different colors , but I am not the expert on that. Help somelse will help !

3. RoosterAddict99

Jul 23, 2012
    When my county fair roles around, I am going to try to get some show quality hens to improve the quality of the hatchery chicks. I am just very hesitant to purchase birds from a breeder because I've had problems with my flock catching disease from outsiders.Thanks for your response!

4. RoosterAddict99

Jul 23, 2012
    Can anyone else help answer my questions? I'm clueless[​IMG]. Particularly with question 1. Is there anyone that can help? Thanks!

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Sometimes posts are soooo slow at responding ! why start a new thread with different title see if you got some answers ! I know there was a thread about this breed somewhere, I will have to find it !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by