Silkie broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rns-chickenraisers, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Rns-chickenraisers

Rns-chickenraisers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    My 5 month old porcelin silkie was injured this morning. Pretty sure her right leg is broke, she wont bear weight on it and when she laid down it bent in a way im thinking it has to be broke!
    I cleaned out a little crate for her. But decided to just lay with her for a while. So shes asleep on my chest with a little blanket, occasionally giving me little kisses and snuggles.
    I dont know where this break or injury is, and i dont know wht to do? Let her be a hopper? Try to imobilize it? I plan on keeping her inside for a couple of weeks so she has time to heal

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Which way did it bend? I saw a few posts where the OP thought their chicken had a broken leg and it turned out to be Marek's.

3. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    She was injured by a dog. Pretty sure its broken [​IMG]

4. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    Its for sure broke, at the joint . ...

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Poor thing....I hate to say you might have to put her down.......Hopefully others will come by with some solution for you! I'm wondering if you couldn't brace or wrap it in some way......

Good luck with her!!!!! So sorry this happened,

Sharon

6. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Poor girl. Can you splint it?

7. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    Any ideas or tips on how to splint it? I asked my husband if i should splint it and he laughed at me

8. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    We have splinted and wrapped her leg ( monday the day this happened) its been almost one week and shes completely alert, getting spoiled rotten, and learning how to stand and "walk/hop" from what we have read its advised to keep her in 2-4 weeks so it can heal. Will the other silkies accept her back into the flock. I wont put her back out until I know she can eat, drink and get around well out in the pen.

9. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    I had a sick chick in my flock at 8 weeks and she was away from the group about two weeks while she recovered. I tried to just place her back with her flock when she had recovered but that did not go well. Then I placed her in a covered pen inside main run for a couple of weeks everyday then reintroduced. The flock still chased her for about an additional 4-5 days but they worked it all out. Now they are about 25 weeks and she is one of the crew and they all get along great. You may have to take it slow on the reintroduction too. It may depend on the age of your birds too. Good luck! Hope she heals well![​IMG]

10. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    Thanks for the info! She is 5 months, in fact the whole silkie flock is 5 months old...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by