silkie broken neck

tonya in broadway

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
sad day on the farm for us. we went to the coop this morning to find our silkies neck broke. just wondering some ways this could have happened so i could hopefully prevent this from happening again. none of my chickens wings are clipped i have 4 roosts up for them and they stay in the coop at night and have a fenced yard during the day. i followed the guidelines for the nesting boxes (for size and height off the ground) any input would be apprecieated. i am a newbie at chickens i bought them all over the summer as chicks (4 barred rocks, 3 buff orph 1 bantam, 4 golden comets) thanks tonya

Just a thought. I don't have silkies but have read that they don't roost high like other birds. Sometimes they just lay down on the floor. I'm wondering if one of the others could have jumped down off the roost and accidentally landed on your silkie breaking it's neck.

teapot.gif

Last edited:
Silkies with a vaulted skull (part of their brain isnt protected by hard skull) have been known to die from running into a wall (they really dont see well with all that fluff), being pecked on the head, or other seemingly slight traumas.
If it's neck was actually broken, it was probably just an unfortunate coop accident.

chel

Thanks all........I think it was just a strange accident. i have gone all through the coop and everything appears to be safe. the silkie and my bantam didnt get along so maybe she had something to do with it. thanks for your input...............tonya

I'm so sorry, Tonya.... I've lost some that way. They get startled or frightened and fly smack into the wall.....

I only have silkies...they love to all pile in one box and sleep together (keeps em toasty warm too)... perhaps you can make a place for them in another section of your coop???

Back
Top Bottom