1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Broodiness!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rainstorm, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Ok I dont know if this is in the right section or not...

im gonna be going with my brother to an auction in a few weeks and was planning to look for a pair of silkies, I had heard they go broody ALOT, do they this time of the year? or do they just stop like other chickens?

also, when they do go broody, is it possible to switch the eggs from her with some duck eggs or other eggs I want to hatch? if so how would you go about doing that?

Diana [​IMG]

2. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

hi, yes they will go broody this time of the year, i have 3 sitting on eggs! and yes the will hatch any thing...lol , just put an egg in front of them, and they will scoop it right up under them, they are amazing little Chickie's! and great moms! [​IMG]

3. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

4. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering is it ok to pick up broody chickens?

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be a bad Idea if you really like all of your fingers...

6. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    I've been pickin' up my broody silkie several times a day trying to keep her off the nest. She's not even sitting on anything! I'm very gentle and sweet to her while picking her up. No pecks from her. I just scoop her up from under her wings. She growls some!

7. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I'll rent you mine!!! I have 2 and they are broody more than not .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by