Silkie Broody at First Egg????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by france, Nov 3, 2009.

1. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We have a small silkie who is about half the size of the others. She has always been louder then most, talking loudly all the time, making up for her size [​IMG] The chickens are 26 weeks and only 3 or 4 are laying. Today I heard a ton of screaming from the coop. I went over and found our little silkie leading the chorus in a very loud, almost duck quaking song - egg laying song perhaps? I found an egg in the corner of the coop, small but no smaller then my orpington's first eggs and took it out. (we already had 2 eggs this morning) She kept going on and on and on for a good hour. Then all was quiet. I looked in the coop and there she was sitting where that egg had been. She would not move and I was able to pet her and pick her up without her trying to run. About a half an hour later I heard her screaming again and it lasted for another good half hour before she was quiet again back in her corner sitting on the egg spot. That was most likely her egg right? And does this mean I have a very broody silkie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by