silkie buff and blue are they males ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lindy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. lindy

lindy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG] head photo

[​IMG] side photo

[​IMG] back side photo

[​IMG] blue silkie head photo

[​IMG] side photo

[​IMG] here is a regular chicken born at the same time

they are aprox 17 weeks. i am sure the blue is male but the buff not sure i hoping female because it is so nice but im leaning towards male because of the face

2. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Hmmm...

I am not sure about the gender.

I think the buff has a single comb which is bad....

Does it have a comb like the "regular" chicken in the last picture?

3. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    yes it has a single comb got them from Ideal so not very ideal but i still like them. I just think he is male because of all the comb and wattles but he doesnt look as mature as the blue . the blue doesnt have as much comb or wattles but looks more like a male. he also picks on the other chickens alot not sure if he is trying to figure out the mating thing or he just likes chasing the other chickens. he also stays in the coop most of the time when the other chickens want out. dont know if that makes a difference

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Both are looking pretty roosterly!

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I'm not a Silkie expert by any means but have 2 about the same age as yours.My black has a big rose comb wattles and crows so he was an easy one.My blue you can't see the comb at all and no wattles so by looking at yours and mine I'm with the Roo camp.My daughter had wanted to order some from Ideal glad I saw this post.
    One thing for sure as with any Silkie they sure are cute little fluff balls [​IMG]

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, they both look PQ to me. The buff is very rooster to me... the blue/black looks like it may be a pullet...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    I bought three from ideal a few summers ago(had to sell them) they looked alot nicer then the ones i have now. but they are just pets.. however, if i had the money i would of got some pet quality silkies from breeders on this forum they are twice as nice and they come from someone that cares about chickens.

Thanks for taking a guess. I just thought the blue was aroo because of his neck, he is bigger then the other three i have. the buff i just thought was a roo because of the comb and waddles. but as you can tell they arent supposed to have a single comb either.

anyways if anyone else would like to take a guess that would be awesome. being 17 weeks i thought i would hear some crowing by now. but maybe another month they wil lbe ready to tell me what they are

8. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I would say the buff is a roo. His comb and waddles are bigger and more red.

I am no expert.

Here is my roo if you want a comparison for the black one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Buff is a cockerel; blue is almost certainly a pullet.

10. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    you really think blue is pullet, may i ask why, he just looks like a he, hopefully a girl that would be cool. is the buff a roo because of the comb and waddles? how much longer before you think i will know for sure?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by