Silkie bullied?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1955, Apr 25, 2016.

1. 1955

1955 New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    my last remaining silkie (4 years) is 'refusing' to come out of the coop in the morning. Thought it might be foot damage but she looks/ walks well when put out. I have 2 rescue chickens who are a bit scary. Is she not appearing due to being bullied or could it be something else. Thank you

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    I am sorry your bird is doing poorly at the moment - any significant change in behavior is definitely cause for concern and further investigation. How long have these birds all been together - meaning are the two other hens recent additions to the flock or have they all been together for 6+ months? When you say the two other hens are a "bit scary", what, specifically, do they do? How long has the silkie been refusing to come out of the coop? Is she moving about normally inside the coop - eating, drinking and producing waste normally - or is she sitting in one place all the time? If it is the latter, how is her demeanor? Have you picked her up to assess her body condition?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Other breeds tend to bully silkies because they look so different. Then too, when you add new birds, a new pecking order has to be established and silkies are usually at the bottom.

Could it be possible your silkie is "broody," and trying to hatch eggs? That would be good reason for not leaving the coop.

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some good possible reasons for the change in your silkies behavior...hope that helps pinpoint the reason for the way she is acting and you can help her out.

Good luck!

7. 1955

1955 New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    Thank you so much for responses - all over the world! She's OK when she comes out although she tends to sit on her own. Too old to be broody! She has good appetite and isn't too light. Maybe I'll try seperating rescue hens (which I did initially) and see if that makes her braver.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by