Silkie butts...a yucky mess?

smiley

Songster
12 Years
Jun 25, 2007
Ok. I started similar thread for Cochins and got such wonderful responses! I am definitely adding cochins to my order this spring!!

But, just to confirm, do silkie butts get messy? Our birds will be free ranging 24/7 in grass in New England. I have been told that their butts get really yucky but before I take them off my list I thought I would ask here. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on the forum that have owned this breed.

I just want to confirm before I cross them off my list permanently...........

I REALLY wanted a silkie but we need low maintenance birds and I don't want to be constantly bathing butts. However, it seems they have great dispositions for kids which would be a plus. But, not enough of a plus to make me want to clean some chicken butts!

Thank you for any input!

Nasty butt comes more from what they eat than what breed they are. I have about 40 Silkies and non of them have messy butt and I've never had to bathe any of them.

It depends on the quality. Some are SOO fuzzy that they get poo stuck to their bottoms. If they are from a hatchery, I wouldnt worry....

It matters not on the quality, it is strictly on what they eat, or if they are sick or something. I have show quality and they only get a messy butt if they are getting sick, or are sick, mite,lice or parasites. However, they can also get this especially in summer, wehn you tend to have more watery stools due to the heat. It is usually a key sign and the first one, that some thing is not right with the bird.

Last edited:
Thank you for replies. So, if they are free ranging in pasture all day with a supplement of organic layer pellets will their butts most likely be yucky? Gosh....after reading that back it sounds like such a bizarre question but I really am sincere!

We are switching over to bantams (I have already decided on barred rocks and cochins) late winter/early spring so I have to have my breed list sorted out!!
idunno.gif

Free ranging and layer pellets shouldn't make them have nasty butts. Mine eat Flock Raiser and free range all day, everyday, with no yucky butts. As the person above you said, it is a sign of oncoming illness or the wrong diet.

Hmm. I went to a chicken show recently and talked to someone who breeds/shows silkies and she said that their butts are constantly gross due to their fluff. That's why I was going to cross them off my list. Plus, she said they can't see well (due to their head fluffs) to free range without problems.

So, I assumed, since she was a breeder, that I had correct information......... she never mentioned a feeding issue causing dirty butts just the texture of their, well, fluff..

However, if their butts really do get dirty I hope someone can tell me so I don't make a mistake.

I have different information so am trying to process it all!!!

Back
Top Bottom