1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie? Can a silkie not have blue skin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alaskanchicken, Jun 15, 2011.

1. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I have what looks to be a white silkie, except she (hopefully) doesn't have the blue skin. She has five toes, looks just like the blu silkie chicks I have. What else could she be? I don't think she is a favrolle, ( i had one that died ) [​IMG]

I will try to get photo's when I can put the baby down [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

This can pop up in Silkies every once in a while. It's more common among hatchery birds. [​IMG]

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Could be a Sultan. What kind of comb does it have? Salmon Faverolles have a single comb and Sultans will look like they have nothing because later they will develop a V comb.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Doesn't scream Silkie to me. [​IMG] Hmm...

5. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    [​IMG] This is her head, she has muffs and a beard. She came from the ornamental layers [​IMG]

6. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    This chick really doesn't scream silkie out to me. He/she doesn't have that little crest on it's head the silkies chicks usually have. I could be wrong though.

7. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Still looks like a Sultan to me. Beard/muffs + crest +feathered legs+5 toes+light skin+not much of a comb=Sultan

8. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    I bet it is a sultan. They aren't very good layers though. They look pretty...

9. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    When you order an ornamental layer assortment, you aren't going for production birds. You're going for the birds that will give you some eggs and look cool hanging around in your yard. If you don't want that little one, I'll gladly take it off your hands for you. [​IMG]

10. alaskanchicken

Apr 25, 2011
    As long as she is a hen I will be fine. I would totally give it to you AK country girl, but my niece has clamed it and named it sophie [​IMG]
    I hope she will make it now. It seems like as soon as I name them and get attached something happens to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by