Silkie Can't See Around the Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BerrytangleFarm, May 19, 2011.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

So, I've heard about trimming Silkies who can't see around the feathers. I have a 3.5-month-old who just doesn't seem to get around well. It was fine in the brooder, but in the new coop she doesn't go outside or inside herself.

How does one trim a Silkie?

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:I put mine at eye level, and take some small scissors and cut around the face sometimes. Most of the time, I take a small rubberband and give them a ponytail on top! When you put her down, look out!! She'll be flappin around because she will be able to see!

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Very carefully! I cut the fluff around my silkie's eyes but I have to be very careful because she shakes and I am afraid she will make me cut her eye. I bought some clippers and am going to try them this weekend. She is gaining weight and self confidence since I started trimming her back.
    sharon

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have one hen that is especially fluffy around the eyes. She gets mean and cranky when she can't see. Lashes out at everyone if I don't keep her trimmed. She is usually pretty good about it. I have someone else hold her so I can have both hands free, I use one hand to stablize her head, don't want to poke her eye out, and do a quick trim around each eye. She is a doll baby after that, her old friendly self.

5. whitneymoon

whitneymoon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Good to know!

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I always trim my silkies crests! Once a month they all get a trim. I very carefully cut a area out around the eyes and this does NOT spoil the look of the crest. Otherwise they could not see. They are so happy to see again when I'm finished. It needs to be done about once a month. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by