Silkie can't walk what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miachick, Aug 4, 2013.

1. miachick

miachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    Okay I'm hoping its not merics, but here is her info. She is a young pullet has been in a small pen almost 2 week's with her 2 brothers who are much larger than her (they may have been picking on her because of the small space) I didn't want to let them loose into my larger flock because they are so little and they are new and worried they would get hurt by the other's anyway, ive since moved her brother's. Also in the adjoining cage had baby guinea pig's that ran back and forth in there cage. they have been moved also because I worried they would bite them or poo in there food (salmonella) she has good looking poo but is sticking to her because she isn't standing at all. she isn't floppy or flapping around and has no other symptom's. what can I do for her?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Try pressing into the ball (pad) of your hen's feet. If she curls her toes and/or moves her legs, she isn't paralyzed (which, most of the time, means it isn't Marek's). Feel the legs for any swellings, excessive hotness, or broken bones. Does she overall seem weak (is she eating/drinking fine?), or does it just appear that she can't stand, but is otherwise normal?

If she isn't eating, make sure that you get some nutrients and water into her. Mix vitamin/electrolyte water with applesauce and/or dissolved feed until it forms a soupy mixture. Try dripping/rubbing that mixture on her beak or giving it to her in a spoon. You could also try tube feeding, but I don't have experience with that, so I can't help you there.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and help!

1 person likes this.
  3. miachick

miachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    unfortunately she passed soon after this post :( I have only 2 out of the 7 that was purchased. the fellow I got them from had a terrible set up they were confined to a very small space. but, happy that atleast 2 survived! they are so sweet and slowly working them into my larger flock. coming from such a sick colony I baby them so. Time to cut the apron string's.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for you loss! At least she had a happy life with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by