1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmomma24, Aug 20, 2016.

1. chickenmomma24

chickenmomma24 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    Brought to vet , she got an xray.. no broken bones now both feet are effected. She can't balance. I'm syringe feeding her electrolytes but she's eating fine. Just not drinking. Please help

2. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    She probably has Mareks, a disease that effects the legs of chickens and disables them from walking.

The best way I dealt with this was by feeding them cut up cloves of garlic, since it fights off the disease. You can give her antibiotics in her water. But please continue giving her the water, this disease is fatal.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. chickenmomma24

chickenmomma24 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    OK thank you

4. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    Your welcome and please update if her condition improves

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  5. chickenmomma24

chickenmomma24 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    I will

6. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    I believe I made an error, it's not cocci. It's Mareks. Sorry for this error.

7. fluffykitty12

fluffykitty12 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Might also be bumblefoot as well. It's unlikely, and I'd expect the vet to check for it, but you never know.

8. chickenmomma24

chickenmomma24 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    That's why she gave me antibiotics just in case but it's a cramping of the foot thing..

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she?
    Can you post some photos or a video of the feet/legs and how she is laying down?
    What type of antibiotics did the vet prescribe?

It can be a number of things.
    Marek's and Mycoplasma S. are both diseases that can affect the legs, neurological/developmental disorders are a possibility as well, it could also be a nutritional/vitamin deficiency.

At the very least you can try giving her some extra vitamins. Vitamin B2(riboflavin) deficiencies affect the legs. You can crush a human B-Complex vitamin(no iron) and add this to her food to see if there is any improvement.

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks as a chick? Are her toes curled? Are the legs stiff like paralysis? Are they at odd angles? A picture would really help. If she does have Mareks it is HIGHLY contagious and airborn.. this means your flock will likely be carriers of Mareks ( able to transmit the disease to other birds) but it does not mean they will all become symptomatic. Some can carry the disease without getting symptoms. The virus lives on the land for quite a long while. Many live with Mareks in their flock and some decide to breed for resistance, some keep a closed flock, and some vaccinate any new additions to the flock to protect them. If this is done its very wise to keep the vaccinated chick away from exposure ( outside ground adult birds) for at least 6 weeks or longer to allow immunity to build from the vaccine. Immunity is NOT INSTANT. SO keep the newcommer away from exposure while they develop immunity. If you do have Mareks it will be your choice how to continue. Read as much as possible! Knowledge is power in this case. Hope this helps a little. Best wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by