Silkie Care

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amberlynne99, Jan 4, 2019.

1. amberlynne99

amberlynne99 In the Brooder

Jan 4, 2019
    hello. I'm new to chicken owning. I have 2 silkies. One ended up with an upper respiratory infection. Was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening? They are wormed and have a dust bath that's supposed to keep parasites out. ty

HuffleClaw likes this.
  2. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Respiratory infections can be from many different causes. Prevention mainly consists of proper ventilation in the coop, not bringing in new birds without a good quarantine period, keeping wild birds out of their area, and good nutrition and husbandry. Some things can be airborne, and impossible to control.

amberlynne99 and puffypoo like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Chickens carry disease and if you just got the birds the stress from being relocated brought out the symptoms of the respiratory issue.

townchicks and amberlynne99 like this.
  4. amberlynne99

Jan 4, 2019

I had her about 6-7 months. I went out there and she just looked so pitiful. I know chickens are prone to disease and bugs and wasn’t sure if I was doing enough for them to protect them from everything.

townchicks and chickens really like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Did the temperature change quickly? Knowing your location will help. I'm in Alberta, Canada so I run heat for my Silkies because they get cold.

amberlynne99 and townchicks like this.
  6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw It’s your world, I’m just living in it

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    My silkies have been pure fun! Docile little birds. I care for them the same as I would any other breed. Same food, water, etc. As for the respiratory infection, the above posters have made good points on that. :)

7. amberlynne99

Jan 4, 2019
    No it didn’t change. I’m in Virginia. It went from summer to fall? But wasn’t a huge change.

HuffleClaw likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: