1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Silkie chick a hard like cyst on under eye lid, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RichmondRanch, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RichmondRanch

RichmondRanch Hatching

Sep 11, 2018
    The thing under the chicks eye is hard and pretty large but it does not seem to cause any harm to the bird, I just want to know if there is any way I could get rid of it because I would hate for it to get bigger and cause blindness. The eye is still working and responding to light but I just don’t know what to do.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    We are unable to view the photos.

Use the blue "Upload a File button" to insert your photos.

Chick-N-Fun and RichmondRanch like this.
  3. RichmondRanch

RichmondRanch Hatching

Sep 11, 2018
    91329DCE-D624-4186-9AA9-37264CA70852.jpeg 92247E94-ECDA-4FBC-863C-67B1F93B4366.jpeg what is it???

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings RichmondRanch,

Good photos!

Most growths on eye lids are benign.

They can be fatty tumors, or even an infected feather follicle, more commonly called feather cysts. This is similar to when a person has an ingrown hair. Another possibility is that the chick got pecked, and the wound is infected.

If it is an infected follicle or pecking wound, it will respond to a gentle cleaning, 3 times a day, for the next two days. Use a sterile saline solution, since this is in the area of the eye. Wipe with a small piece of sterile gauze, then, dab a dot of Triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment, or Terramycin ointment. These can be purchased at a farm/feed store. Some keepers will even use Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment, or generic brands. But, be sure not to use antibiotic ointments with benzocaine type pain reliever in them. Benzocaine, and other pain relievers ending in "caine", are potentially toxic to birds, according to most avian medical articles.

If the nodule starts to heal after two days, then, you'll know it is infection. Continue applying an antibiotic ointment till healed. This may take up to two weeks. It may even start to lift at the corners, like a scab.

If after a 3-4 days, there is no change, then, it may be a fatty tumor. You should not attempt to do any surgery on the eye. I would then try, using vitamin A treatment on the fatty tumor. Just prick a vitamin A capsule, and using a cotton swab, dab some of the oil on the nodule. Do not get any of the oil into the eye. Keep the oil below the lid line. The retinol will help dry it up. Do this several times a day, for a week. If it looks like it is getting smaller, continue the treatment.

If there is no response to treatment, then, you may have to seek the help of an exotic or avian veterinarian.

These are my thoughts on your chick's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I have seen these eye cysts before that were hard to the touch, and never grew. I would watch it over the next week or two, and measure it to see if it grows. The thing I would look for is if it is a peck wound that has abscessed. That should feel softer. Fowl pox scabs can be located in that area as well, but it looks more like a cyst.

6. RichmondRanch

RichmondRanch Hatching

Sep 11, 2018
    Such a great community, Thank y’all.

Wyorp Rock and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Good luck with your adorable chick! ❤️

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. RichmondRanch

RichmondRanch Hatching

Sep 11, 2018
    I feel terrible because I have not been able to get any medicine for the chick and I can’t tell if it is getting or worse B6A9CA00-BBAE-4329-9D3F-90E227606B56.jpeg 1240996E-FF07-4CCA-A3E6-3CD798F64828.jpeg

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like it has a reddened area on the lump. How does the chick seem to be eating, drinking, and acting? Have you been seeing mosquitoes around lately, or any other scabs on your other chickens’ combs, faces, or wattles? Do younhave any plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment that they sell at Dollar Tree for $1? I might be tempted to open the cyst with a sterilized sewing needle or safety pin to see if you could squeeze out a little pus. Only attempt this if you have someone to hold the chick’s head still.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: