1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie chick... Abdomen distended

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by w8tin4raptur, Jun 8, 2017.

1. w8tin4raptur

w8tin4raptur Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Windsor, pa
    Hello all,

I have a silkie chick that is 10 weeks old today. He/She was found yesterday with a very large abdomen. I can't drain anything from it. It's not eating or drinking. Nothing in his/ her crop. Now it can't breath right. She just sleeps. Can someone give detailed instructions on draining. Maybe I'm not doing it right. All I get is blood. Antibiotics? I have tylan and penicillin I can give. Any ideas. Does respiratory cause bloated belly?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds to me like it could have heart failure, in which case there isn't anything you can do except humanely cull it. I could be wrong with my diagnosis, however, so hopefully other posters respond.

Respiratory problems do not cause bloated bodies/stomachs. There is something going on, internally, in the chick's abdomen and/or organs.

3. w8tin4raptur

w8tin4raptur Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Windsor, pa
    Thank you for responding. She has passed on. She was such a sweet thing.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by