Silkie chick ate molded chick treat

Update: 7:15am today:

Our Silkie chick (now right at 11 weeks old) showed good improvement yesterday, and we hope for more today. At this time, she's still staying mostly inside in a pet bed with fresh linens, is standing while preening and grooming herself, but her head is still just above horizontal at best most of the time.

She's received vitamin doses consistent with the package recommendations of Rooster Booster for mixing with water, and Rooster Booster vitamin supplements for mixing with feed, though the latter we mix in a heavy concentration with yogurt and her regular Starter Crumbles (a ratio of about 1:1:1 for this mix). We have to force feed her this mix as she won't eat it on her own.

Otherwise, she's alert, responsive, talkative, and, oddly enough, seems happy.....

Since this girl seems to do better and gets more exercise when with her sister versus staying inside, not much activity, and sleeping much of the time, do you think letting her into the run with her sister (and only her sister) is good therapy?

It seems that way to us. Instead of being mostly lethargic on her own inside, she moves around, tries to hold her head upright, preens, forages, and really seems to be more happy.

There's no doubt your quick response with treatment has saved her life. It's so good to hear she's showing every sign of recovering.
She definitely would not have made it if left on her own. I took her outside a few minutes ago after about 1.5 hours in her bed, and placed her back in the run with her sister. Her activity level jumps substantially when she's with her hatch-mate. She's safe in a separated run (her usual run that she shares with her sister adjacent to our main run until they mature), so I think I'm going to leave her there until her next dose of vitamins around noon. Do you think that is a good idea??

EDIT: I just walked out and took a quick peek to see how it was going, and she had her head nearly vertical and was messing around near the spot where they usually spend most of their days in the run. This looks SO positive to me, but we're both still VERY cautious about her long-term prognosis...

Last edited:
Yes!
Stimulation is good for the health......and will make reintegration easier when the time comes.
Thank you for the confirmation. It seems to be going extraordinarily well VERSUS her snoozing inside in a bed all day. I'll update how her day goes this evening as I'll be home on yard duty all day :-\

Update 9:20PM:
She spent most all the day with her hatch-mate, and she was certainly happy to be out and about doing what she had become accustomed to in her short 11 weeks with us. She did all the things (mostly) that she was doing as recently as Monday, but the WRY NECK limits her functioning fully.

Her condition hasn't improved any more since the promising signs we began to see last evening when she began standing, preening, and moving about. She's still doing that, but just no improvement. Her head is still cocked heavily to one side, and it affects her vision, though she can manage to scratch and peck morsels from the ground. She ate from her feeder, but we never saw her drink from her waterer (now filled with Rooster Booster liquid vitamins).

While outside, she is able to move around reasonably well, but cannot (will not) jump up on anything, and her balance is not the best. She can follow her sister around and they spent a good 8 hours together today in the run. We brought her in at about 1pm for an hour nap and again at about 6pm for another hour nap. Then she went back out with her sister until about 8:30pm when we brought her in for the night.

She's sleeping now; we'll wake her once more at about 10pm for some vitamin water, then see how she does tomorrow... :-\

How much vitamin E are you giving her? Is it 400iu? How many times a day? I'm thinking you might want to increase the dosage. And do the vitamins have healthy amounts of B2 and B6? Those are important for repairing nerve connections that could have been damaged by the toxin.

Back
Top Bottom