Silkie chick brooder bedding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiesmooth, Nov 27, 2011.

1. silkiesmooth

silkiesmooth New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Hi! I just picked up 4 silkie chicks. They are 2 weeks old now. I have been using aspen shavings as bedding in the brooder. Their feet are now getting filled in with feathers and the bedding gets knotted up in it. Is sand a better option or some other kind of bedding that wont get matted in their feet? I have to cut the shavings out of their feet everyday and really would rather not do that. Any help would be appreciated. I am about half way done with building their outdoor enclosure and should be done with it in a couple weeks. I will post pics of it when it is done. Thanks again

2. GonzoChickenLady

GonzoChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    My Silkie breeder used dried Bermuda grass as bedding for her chickens. I just hatched some myself & am switching them from wood chips to Bermuda grass today. They are 2 weeks old. I'm moving them outside in a couple of weeks. I'm going to go up & get a clean bale of grass or maybe alfalfa today. Will keep it in the garage so it doesn't get wet outside. For my older birds I use diatomaceous earth to control mites so I've never had a problem with bugs from the bedding. Hope you live somewhere where you can get a bale of something this time of year. I've seen bags of Timothy grass in pet stores but it is extremely expensive. Good luck!

3. silkiesmooth

silkiesmooth New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks. Im in Florida. I have a few feed stores locally. I will try that. Makes sense to me

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    My chicks stay in a brooder inside until they are 2 weeks old. They then go to a wood brooder outside in my brooder shed. I keep heat lamps on them and they are on a cement floor with a nice enclosure and I put builder's sand on the bottom. Sometimes I mix a little dirt from the yard so they get the used to soil. They stay there till they go out to the big house...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by