Silkie Chick Cost

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Hello ya'all!

I recently got into hatching and plan on starting a hobby business of selling day-old silkie chicks. My question is how much should I charge? The silkies are pet-quality blues, splashes, and blacks, all strait-run. I was thinking about 3-5 dollars per chick? They will all be from one day to a week old. (Also, what about a buff-blue silkie mix? 1-3 dollars?)

I have heard it depends a lot on location and the season. I am in Idaho, and won't start selling chicks until March.

Looking for advice...:pop

You should look into how much chicks go for in your local area, like at your local feed store. Usually they order them from a hatchery at wholesale prices so they can re-sell them. You can usually be a few dollars over how much they sell them, because you are hatching them yourself and don't pay for shipping. You can also increase cost as they age since you are buying food for them. Around my area chicks go between $5-15 for pet quality, so I focus on more ornamental breeds that there isn't a lot around and start at $10 for day-old and increase a dollar a week until they are coop ready, then I make other increases based on gender.

Back
Top Bottom