Silkie chick feather problems.

JessiaCox

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
Washington
I have a 6.5 week old silkie chick that doesn't seem to be growing in her back feathers all the way. She is my only silkie that looks this noticeable(we have one more that has a small spot that looks similar) no injuries, lice, or mites I have looked. Skin seems a little dry as well. We recently moved them out to our second coop last weekend but it was like this before they went outside.
20210616_175946.jpg
20210616_175949.jpg

Some feathers on the back look broken. Could be some feather picking going on there.
Is she dust bathing at all?
I would give her poultry vitamins a couple of times a week for a boost, make sure she's eating well. (She's eating chick starter right?)
I do agree the skin looks a bit dry and scabby. I would be inclined to clean her skin with a dandruff shampoo. See if a one time cleaning helps.

Observe the chicks to make sure they aren't picking at her. If you have one other chick with similar pattern, then you have some picking going on.

Some feathers on the back look broken. Could be some feather picking going on there.
Is she dust bathing at all?
I would give her poultry vitamins a couple of times a week for a boost, make sure she's eating well. (She's eating chick starter right?)
I do agree the skin looks a bit dry and scabby. I would be inclined to clean her skin with a dandruff shampoo. See if a one time cleaning helps.

Observe the chicks to make sure they aren't picking at her. If you have one other chick with similar pattern, then you have some picking going on.
She is on chick feed yes, we did electrolytes for a couple weeks I will try the poultry vitamin mix to see if that helps. I haven't witnessed any actual pecking and I'm out with them a few hours a day. Doesn't mean it's not happening at night. Any dandruff shampoo? Or is there a special one for poultry?

She is on chick feed yes, we did electrolytes for a couple weeks I will try the poultry vitamin mix to see if that helps. I haven't witnessed any actual pecking and I'm out with them a few hours a day. Doesn't mean it's not happening at night. Any dandruff shampoo? Or is there a special one for poultry?
I would suspect night or early morning.

I'm not aware of a poultry shampoo, I would use something labeled for sensitive skin if possible.

Back
Top Bottom