Silkie Chick from Ideal not doing well

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
Hi - i just got my order from Ideal at 1am this morning, 18 silkies with 10 larger packing peanuts. One chick is not doing well. She is small and has spraddle legs. She might have gotten stepped on a lot in transit. i was able to put a bandaid on, but aside from that she is not eating or drinking. i pulled her out into a spare incubator, put paper towels down, and have it at 95 degrees. i gave her one drop of polyvisol (w/o iron) upon arrival, and have been doing drops of water every so often (with quick chick in it, the vitamin electrolyte stuff). i have tried getting some bits of the Gro gel in her beak, maybe have gotten a teeny bit in.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what i can do to perk her up? Thanks for any input. Would hate to lose this little one, but i see a definite possibility.

Colleen

Last edited by a moderator:
Call the hatchery they'll probably give you a refund or something. Sorry about that. It must be really fusterating.

Quote:
Well, i ordered 15 and they sent 18. One was DOA, and this little one may not make it, so i'm still technically one ahead. It is a little sad to see this one struggle. i've had chicks look bad for a day or two right after hatching, then perk up. But this little one was probably hatched Wednesday (or maybe Tuesday). i hope it still has some yolk sac to feed from because i can't get her to eat.

Back
Top Bottom