Silkie chick got stuck in feeder and it ended up upside down !!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baldie, Apr 15, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have 2 silkie chicks in with their mom on the porch. I have one of those little round feeders that can attatch to a mason jar. I couldn't find the blue silkie anywhere. Then I heard something, picked up the feeder and there she was stuck and freaking out. Thank God I found her when I did. Or who knows what would have happened!
    I just wanted to forwarn people that this can happen. I would have never expected it.
    I am having a bad chicken day. Now I get to go deal with my hamburg with prolapse. Ugh, bad bad day!!

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    OMG!!!!! I almost can't believe it after the day you've had! I just stumbled across this....was she in the glass part?

3. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    No, I had the glass part off. But the feeder was upside down so you could not see the chick ( only a couple of weeks old). They are in pine shavings and it looked like the mom may have stepped on it looking for her baby which would explain why it could not get out. It would not have been able to get out. ..It was so scared and hungry and thirsty. I just like to warn people when something this weird happens. You live and learn. What a chicken day I am having. Well it will get better eventually, one way or another.

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    You know I use those long trough feeders and I had a buff Orpington get stuck in it. Poor thing climbed in and couldn't get out. We went out (they are in another building close to the house that is heated) to check on them and here he/she was stuck in there and peeping a vicious peep. We had to carefully slide the top off to get the chick out.

5. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:That is awesome that you got her out. I know that these are probably freak accidents but I think it is a good idea to let people know that it is possible. I love that silkie. I would have been so angry with myself if she had not made it.

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    one of my golden campine chicks got stuck in the feeder today too! I hope they learn soon that they don't need to climb IN to the feeder to eat... silly chicks. Good thing I was home today, and my boyfriend will be home with them tomorrow... maybe we can rig up a way to keep this from happening again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by