silkie chick has white flaky Akin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aaajjss1, Mar 12, 2012.

1. aaajjss1

aaajjss1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    One of my 3 week old silkie chicks has white flaky skin on its back. Had what I think was lice when I got them two Weeks ago. treated with de and lice and mite spray for all birds that I bought at petco. Treating twice aweek and sprinkling DE in bedding. I have not seen a any more bugs for at least week. Only one has this dry scaly looking skin on its back and top of head". Should I do any thing, why is it like that?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    I saw actual bugs! this chick has this flaky crusty skin at only a few days old. It does kinda look like dandruff though. just wondered if i should do any thing or leave alone. Thanks for the links.this I'd my first try with silkies

4. ChickensAreSweet

For lice please note that you want to retreat at two weeks to kill the ones that hatch out. For the nits, I have read you can put coconut oil on them and they dissolve (after the eggs have hatched out and the bugs are dead, the remnants are cemented into the feathers and are called nits).

IF it was mites, retreat in 7-10 days.

It is a good idea to treat the coop as well with some kind of premise spray each time you treat the chickens. This means tossing the bedding too.

Here is a link:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html

So every time I have new chicks, they get dandruff at 3 weeks. I'd say you have that going on, too.

5. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    Thank you for three info! This chick has had this flaky skin since I got it at 3 days old

6. ChickensAreSweet

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Nutrient_deficiencies.html
    Hmmm. Riboflavin deficiency can cause dry skin. Just a thought. However, apparently there are so many other problems that arise with that deficiency that I would think it is unlikely in this situation unless you saw more signs. I have never had a chick with dry skin before as you describe.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206930.htm&word=riboflavin

7. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    Funny that chick was so ugly and now at 10 weeks is absolutely gorgeous. the prettiest one of all big bouffant do on top and bearded so you cant hardly see her eyes

8. Sunshine 123

Sunshine 123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2016
    My silkie shakex her head and looks like she has dandruff, 1month old

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sand as a dust bath helps remove all the dander.........They can really ruffle it into the feathers.....Ash mixed in helps also...

Cheers!

10. Sunshine 123

Sunshine 123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2016
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by