Silkie chick head "spasms"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alliewill, Mar 14, 2013.

1. alliewill

alliewill New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Hey, we're new to raising chicks and have a 4 week old and 5 week old silkie. They're in a fishtank under a red heat lamp with the temp around 80 degrees or slightly less. The five week old is substantially larger than the 4, twice her size or larger, though they have unlimited access to feed/water.

Recently the larger chick has developed what appears to be almost a head tick. Her head tilts to the side, then snaps up straights, tilts back to the side and so on in rapid succession. It doesn't occur all the time but I notice it several times daily. She appears to be fine otherwise, though the smaller chick has never done this.

My question is - is this a medical issue? Is there something I need to be doing or giving her to stop/prevent this? Is it a neurological disorder, is she going to be okay?

Also, is it normal for her to be so much larger than the other chick and so much more developed? They began around the same size, is the small chick having developmental issues?

Thanks so much in advance for the info, this is our first try and we're still learning!!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    check out Crazy Chick disease or Vitamin E encephalopathy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by