1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie chick isn't growing!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sophiesflock, Sep 27, 2015.

1. sophiesflock

sophiesflock Out Of The Brooder

I have 8 chicks (5 regular 3silkies) and one of the silkies just doesn't seem to be growing! I've had them for a week and they're almost 2 weeks old now, and alll the other chicks are quite bigger[​IMG] than when we got them. She spends most of her time sleeping, though I have seen her eating and drinking. She doesn't have pasty butt. Any advice? I enclosed a (bad) picture of her compared to another silkie.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Odd. Perhaps you encountered some Mixes or such or perhaps found a largefowl silkie? I've never seen one but have heard rumors.

3. Junediamond

Junediamond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    I have the same problem! I bought the smallest silkie in hopes of it being a girl, which it seems to be, but is the same size from when we got her. In two weeks she has not grown a cm! Please help! I am going to introduce her fellow friend to the pullets, but she is too tiny!

4. sophiesflock

sophiesflock Out Of The Brooder

When mine was about 3 weeks-1 month she suddenly had a growth spurt and is now the size of the other silkies! For some reason she is not as fluffy and her feathers are a bit brittle, I'm wondering if that's some sort of side effect as she was such a late bloomer. Just be patient, it won't stay a chick forever! Mine is moving out to the coop tomorrow and I hope she'll be ok with the new temp.

5. BEEDiAMOND88777

BEEDiAMOND88777 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    i would enjoy them being so tiny! lol but i know what you mean you cant rise tiny chickens.. maybe put more vitamins in there diet?
    or maybe they just havent got there growing spert yet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by