Silkie chick lethargic and not really growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Snipesmorris, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Snipesmorris

Snipesmorris New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Hi everyone. I'm new to chicks, please help. We received 6 baby female chicks in the mail 3 days ago. All different breeds, Orpington, wyendotte, welsummer, astralorp, an Easter egger, and one white silkie. The silkie is the only bantam and she is just under 1/2 the size of the others now. The other chicks are all doing great, very active, eat a ton, drink a lot, trying to fly around, etc. Our silkie started out fine, but has regressed over the past two days. She is very lethargic, mostly standing or laying around while the others climb over and around her. She will drink water and we see her pick at her organic chicken starter feed-- so she is eating and drinking, though not nearly at the level of the rest of the flock. She had a pasted vent that was protruding a bit and pulsating. I think we have gotten that under control, as we washed the butt in warm water, removed the pasted poop, and dried her off with the hairdryer. She walks mostly ok when she does walk but seems to stumble at times- nowhere near as graceful as the others. We've given her some water with molasses and also some water with sugar, both of which she seems to prefer over straight water. We've handled her no more than 2-3 minutes at a time, and that was just to get off the poop. I don't think she has been out of the brooder long enough to get chilled, but she spends much more time closer to the heat lamp than her sisters and we are just so worried abut her. No one is dying on our watch!

Our setup is a 30 gallon plastic storage bin, with pine shaving floor, 24/7 access to organic chick starter and water, with a 250 watt infrared heat lamp 18 inches above the coop. We've tinkered with raising it as much as another 6 inches, but 18 inches does seem to be the sweet spot.

We are thinking about moving all or some of the other chicks to another plastic bin, so as to give our silkie some more peace and quiet for the time being. The others peck at her a little (not much), but they are always disturbing her b/c they are so active while she is trying to just rest. And she is so small compared to the rest!

Questions: are we just being paranoid? I've read several times over that silkies are more docile, but she is really docile! Separating her from the flock-- good idea or bad? What about water...should we stick with sugar/molasses added? What about adding some vitamin/electrolytes? Any other advice for what we can do to give her a better chance at survival? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    When I have had a weak chick I give electrolye vitamin water and have had pretty good success. You might try movig her and one other to another brooder to see if maybe she is not getting enough food. I hope she gets better. Silkies are such sweet cute chickens. We have 2 that are about 6 weeks old.

3. Snipesmorris

Snipesmorris New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks for the super quick response. Is there a vitamin water for chicks, or are we talking like Gatorade or the brand Vitamin Water? I'm embarrassed that I just asked that question. I am reading up as fast as I can, but just have not gotten there yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by