1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie chick missing outside and other has blood on head what do i do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beautychick, Oct 22, 2013.

1. beautychick

beautychick Out Of The Brooder

I went outside this morning and saw that one chick was missing and the other was having a hard time walking and had blood on its head! We think a hawk came and hurt them.... what should I do with the one we still have?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for the loss of your chick. [​IMG]A hawk or another small predator, like a rat, is the most likely culprit. As for treating your survivor, I would clean the wound on her head (gently) with warm, soapy water. Apply some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains any "cain/caine" ingredients, as those are harmful to poultry) to the wound after it has been cleaned. Don't let the chick in with any other birds until she's healed, as chickens love to peck at wounds.

Unless there has been a lot of neurological damage, your chick should recover. Chickens have a remarkable ability to heal from gruesome wounds; there are many stories on BYC about this. I'd just watch for infection (pus, bad smell, etc.), and if necessary, treat with an antibiotic.

1 person likes this.
  3. beautychick

beautychick Out Of The Brooder

ok thanks will try that!
    and it couldn't have been a hawk it happened way to fast

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It might have been something else, like a rat or a snake. They are very quick and clever. A hawk can attack pretty quickly as well, so I wouldn't rule out that possiblity. Good luck with your remaining Silkie! I hope she gets better.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Did you actually see it happen? Hawks can quickly swoop down and carry birds away. Other possibilities include rats, snakes, or possibly a weasel--those are small and fast killers that usually leave no sign of their prey. I would perhaps post a description of what happened in the Predators and Pests section of the forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by