Silkie Chick needs Help....Video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickenLady4570, Jul 25, 2010.

1. CrazyChickenLady4570

CrazyChickenLady4570 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi all,
    I've been on this site for awhile but now have a problem. I spent 5 hours going through emergency posts last night but feel more confused than ever.
    This chick started this last night. She's about 7-8 weeks old. The video shows what she is doing better than I can describe.
    But I'll try.....she is sticking her head up every time she takes a breath. I do not hear any gurgling sounds, she is chirping with every breath.
    She is not eating or drinking but we did get some water in her with a spoon.
    I'm getting ready to go to TSC to get a dropper and anything I might use.
    I'm wondering if she has somethig stuck in her throat???
    Also wondering if mold has anything to do with this and plan on getting Oxine ASAP (from my reading last night)
    I went through all the respatory diseases and couldn't put a finger on any one disease since this is the only symptom and I'm afraid to start anti-biotics for the wrong thing.
    This poor thing is exhausted since she didn't sleep last night. She did settle down for a bit while I was holding her but not for long.

Please help!!

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    ohthe poor thing I dont know but i am sure someone here will know what to do

3. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Looks like what my Buff was doing. Although she was older, about 8 weeks old, and the noises were bigger noises. I treated my girl with Tylan for upper resp, Ivermectin for Gapes and now she is pretty much fine. I never really knew what was wrong with her. Oh, I also put olive oil down her throat in case she had something lodged in it. Mine never quit eating and drinking though.

I basically treated her for everything I could think of. Smart? I don't know, but she is better and just clucks occasionally throughout the day. Non of my other girls came down with anything. My vet said if the others are fine and she isn't acting distressed and is better to just not worry about i.

I would think someone on here could tell you better what to do.

Any other Ideas?

Very frustrating to watch them doing that. It makes you tired I know watching her. I would cringe every time mine would make her big drawn out cluck and squawk because I couldn't make it better.

Sorry she's feeling so bad and I wish you the best. [​IMG]

4. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    bump sorry, im worried for the little thing

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Somebody on here had a chick like that in distress (not quite as vocal) and that the chick recovered in a few days. It seems they thought there was something caught in the throat that had to work its way through (some little bit of wood shaving or something). I wonder if you can massage the neck gently downward to help dislodge whatever it is...

6. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Oh my gosh....that video....how horrible for her.

Have you looked down her throat to see if there is anything lodged in there?

Is there any food in her crop??

Is she still poohing?

Out of desperation, if she was mine, I'd start with a couple of drops of mineral oil. Then I'd get a few drops of Tylan down her.

Hope someone with more knowledge will respond.

How's she doing now?

7. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Oh, that is heartbreaking. Poor little thing. Hope you find out and can help her.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    How is she doing?

9. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    omgoodness.. how sad!! She is such a cute little booger, though, isn't she?

I would guess something is in her air passage way, either be it gapes, something she ate, or tried to eat.

the only other thing id think it a collapsed lung?

im hoping for the best!

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I've never seen one doing that. I would give her some Olive Oil first and see if that helps any. She might have something stuck in her throat. She is obviously struggling to breath. If you start antibiotics be sure to continue for 3 days. Once you start it, you must finish it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by