Silkie Chick not able to walk

parrotlady66

Chirping
Apr 8, 2019
Hello All,
we have two baby Silkies in our home they were born early October, and as far as I can tell both are girls, my orange colored one she moves around very easy walks with no problems and gets around , the other Silkie she just literally kind of lays or squats there her leg /feet are out in front of her ,he can shuffle a wee bit but mostly gets around by toppling over and up righting herself she has a very healthy appetite and drinks plenty of water as well her sister doesn't pick on her or anything they get along very well. we are very worried about her not being able to walk at all and I don't want her to go out in the big coop because they will just attack her, I did ask one lady about this she though maybe she was just young yet and not have her feet in control yet, i fear this is not so because this has been going on for a bit now we let her free roam in the kitchen but she doesn't get far we have put towels and blankets under her to see if she can get traction but not working
can anyone offer suggestions or have an idea we hate to loose her
thank you ...SAndy

What are you feeding her?
You can try giving vitamin B to see if that helps.

Sadly it sounds like she may have Marek's. If she has struggled with walking since she hatched, then she may have a leg deformity or some type of developmental disorder.

You can try placing her in a sling so she can work her legs without having to bear weight. If you have photos or video of her you wish to share those are always welcome.

Videos would need to be uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here.
HI tonight we had our two silkies out in the kitchen and I noticed she had tiny little bugs in her feathers they are light tan to whitish cn you help me with this or what it might be and how to treat them thank you

How old are they? It sounds like they may have lice. I would go to your feed store and buy permethrin. It comes in spray or powder. It comes in many brands, sprays and concentrate that is mixed in water for a spray bottle, and in garden dust. Use it once and again in 7-10 days. Check again to make sure they are all gone. You will need to also treat the premises and replace the bedding.
upload_2020-1-10_19-42-51.jpeg

How old are they? It sounds like they may have lice. I would go to your feed store and buy permethrin. It comes in spray or powder. It comes in many brands, sprays and concentrate that is mixed in water for a spray bottle, and in garden dust. Use it once and again in 7-10 days. Check again to make sure they are all gone. You will need to also treat the premises and replace the bedding.
View attachment 1999218
ok thank you we will go in the morning to get some, the silkies are in our house and I have parrots and dogs will they get infected ?
my hubby insisted on bathing the silkies in a bit of flea and tick pet shampoo they didn't seem to mind we cleaned out the cage and put fresh bedding in
thank you

I use this one mixed with water, and it is the same as Martins. An 8 ounce bottle makes gallons of solution that can be used in a spray bottle (for treating the chickens) or garden sprayer (for treating the coop.)
upload_2020-1-10_20-35-20.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom