Silkie chick not growing

East Coast Yeti

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 28, 2017
Massachusetts
Five weeks ago we got six 1 day old silkie chicks from a local breeder. They are all doing well except for our little buff who doesn't appear to be growing or at least is growing very slowly. She is about 1/2 the size of the others and is not as energetic as the rest. She is eating and drinking and is interested in goodies I give them like yogurt and eggs. A few weeks ago she was very lethargic and the breeder suggested adding poultry drench to the water. That definitely seemed to help and I've been using in their water ever since. I'm guessing there are a number of reasons why she is not growing. I even wondered if it was possible she was a dwarf but I'm guessing the fact that she is more lethargic than the rest must mean there is something underlying that is preventing her from thriving like the rest, Is there anything else I could be doing to help her? I included a picture of Cinnamon with her showgirl sister Olivia to show the difference in size.

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 52
I'm feeding them Purina start and grow medicated and giving them plain greek yogurt on most days. Looks like it has 18% protein but maybe she needs more than the others. What are you feeding your little one?

Five weeks ago we got six 1 day old silkie chicks from a local breeder. They are all doing well except for our little buff who doesn't appear to be growing or at least is growing very slowly. She is about 1/2 the size of the others and is not as energetic as the rest. She is eating and drinking and is interested in goodies I give them like yogurt and eggs. A few weeks ago she was very lethargic and the breeder suggested adding poultry drench to the water. That definitely seemed to help and I've been using in their water ever since. I'm guessing there are a number of reasons why she is not growing. I even wondered if it was possible she was a dwarf but I'm guessing the fact that she is more lethargic than the rest must mean there is something underlying that is preventing her from thriving like the rest, Is there anything else I could be doing to help her? I included a picture of Cinnamon with her showgirl sister Olivia to show the difference in size.
What feed are you feeding? What protein content does it have?

I've been working on feeding a runt with a deformed beak. She's 8 weeks old, & is the size of a 3 week old. She's grown alittle since.

I am a poops fanatic with my grandchildren as well with the flock. I start looking for issues with the poops is it drier, harder is she straining alot for little poops. I am by far not an expert but I am two years plus a chickie daddie and that is one of the things I watch for if one or all are not thriving. might need to encourage more water. double up on ACV Rooster boost or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom