silkie chick pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Sep 1, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Here are my silkie chicks. They are about 3 weeks old now I think. Let me know what you guys think about sexing them at this age. I know its tough, but ANY ideas would be better than what I think lol. The coop in the picture is just about finished. Just have to put up base boards and put down sand tomorrow. I just wanted to let them out to have some fun!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Cute little babies! Nice variety, of colors too.
    No idea about the sex. It's so hard to tell with Silkies.

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    its hard to sex silkies even at this age mine are 5 and 8 weeks and i still am not sure![​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    aren't they the cutest things? [​IMG] I am sorry, but I can't help you. I have three myself and not sure just guessing on mine. [​IMG]

5. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    lol thanks guys I appriciate it. These are my first chickens ever, and I am in love lol...thanks for the comments.

6. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Do you have any more pictures of the blue one?

She kinda looks suspicious to me; not sure though. :)

Here's a pic of my roo at 4-5 weeks of age. (far right)

[​IMG]

He's now 16-ish weeks and started crowing about three weeks ago; but we really knew he was a roo before that because he did get huge wattles.

7. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    doctorgoose, your birds look very nice!! Blue bird being suspicious in a roo kind way?? I will have to take some more pics in another week or so. [​IMG]

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    DoctorGoose...is it the tail on the blue that makes you think roo? It does look a bit flat (? right word) instead of rounded...

9. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    *Shrugs* sometimes I get "roo" feelings--I kinda had one about this one since I brought him home--I've had a bunch of silkie hens in the past, but never a roo before, I just notice they have a "pointy" look to them--but it's a silkie! Nobody will know until it crows![​IMG]

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We have five, almost 16 weeks old Silkies. We suspected our first male a few weeks ago from his comb and wattles...he crowd, or atleast attempted it several times today.

At the time we realized he was well on his way to "roo-hood", I was excited about the possibility of 4 pullets. Sigh...a week ago, we spotted cockeral #2. [​IMG] It is really hard to sex them until they crow or lay an egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by