Silkie chick question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wyndski, Apr 30, 2009.

1. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I know they are hard to tell the pullets from roo's. My question is when do they start to get their combs? I have a white silkie chick who is about 9 weeks old. I got it from the feed store, so probably from a hatchery and not the greatest quality. Anyway it still doesn't have a raised comb at all, not even a bump. It has the most crazy top hair, like a white "Buckwheat" [​IMG] . Sometimes it seems like a roo and sometimes it seems like a pullet. [​IMG] I am trying to get new pictures. I am wondering when they normally start getting combs? I saw on another thread where someone had 6 week old silkie chicks and they had combs started already.

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, pics would help, but I was able to tell my hatchery silkies at about 6-7 weeks old. My Partridge roo had a large, raised, bumpy comb. He was larger than the others too. I have 2 others from the same shipment and still don't know. If its smooth and flat, it may be a girl. Try to post some pics of the comb and there are many on here that are really good at guessing..

3. wyndski

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Ok, here is a few pictures- no bumps, no lumps, just flat. I just thought that even if it was a pullet that it would get some comb. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Actually for a hatchery chick, your white non bearded Silkie is not bad at all. Looks like a pullet to me. You can somtimes see a wider comb on the boys. They will also develop any sort of bumb by nine weeks. Often it still remains hard to tell the difference. I am really not great at sexing Silkies. I have 3 that I think a pullets but I am still not sure.

5. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Looks like a girl to me [​IMG]

6. wyndski

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Well that would thrill me if it is a pullet. [​IMG] As you can tell from the first picture, my other chick is a roo. [​IMG] I keep checking all the time if the silkie has started growing anything. The other chick grew into his roo suit fast. [​IMG]

7. teeny

teeny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    West Virginia
    It is a pullet. I have a Black Silkie Hen and she has no comb or waddles, yours doesn't have waddles already under the chin . I also have a Game Hen / Silkie mix and no comb or waddles . In fact they are not quite a year old and both went broody and stuck nine eggs under both, hope they do well so far so good it's been a week now. BEST OF LUCK!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is much, much too early to tell whether this chick is a boy or girl.

Silkes have a walnut comb, and they are usually bred to have smaller combs. Don't expect to see a single comb like your cockerel has. Your silkie has a walnut comb that will develop as s/he does.

Bearded silkies have at most very small wattles; yours looks to be partially bearded, so some wattles may be expected. Also, the genes for silkie combs, as well as those for muff & beard reduce the size of wattles.

9. wyndski

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I do know it will have a walnut comb and that it may be too young to be totally sure if it is a pullet or roo. I just thought that at 9 weeks that it would have a bump or something on the top. The other thread someone had with the 6 weekers had good size bumps on top. I will just keep watching for any comb growth. Then will [​IMG] and pray it is a pullet till it either crows or lays a egg. [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most of my girls have very small combs. My roos' combs are probably average. I don't breed for a small male comb--it affects virility. But by the same tiken I wouldn't want a male bird whose comb is so large he can't see around it--I've sen a bird DQed for that. All in all I'll take a larger but more correctly shaped comb over one that is smaller, but poorly shaped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by