Silkie chick question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bee_wrangler, Sep 17, 2009.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I got three little Silkies, just over a month old. I see alot of Silkie pics on here of every age group and they all seem to be all one color.. white, black, or grey ect. Two of mine are grey and one is white, but they all have dark wings and the feathers on the wings are thick like a normal chicken. Is it normal to be like that at an early age and will they become the same color and turn more fluffy as they age, or will they stay that way? We love them so it does not matter much, but just wondering what they will look like when they are fully grown. The person we got them from said they are a pure breed and they do have five toes so I dont think its from being mixed.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Photos are a must to answer this question. [​IMG]

3. bee_wrangler

Sep 13, 2009
    I will set myself up with photobucket tonight after work so I can post some pics [​IMG]

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Without pictures it will be hard to say for sure, especially with silkies. But from the discription that was given, is there is possibility that they are blues and splash? Blue can look grey, but they could also all be splash with different shades of background. Look forward to seeing pictures.

5. bee_wrangler

Sep 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. bee_wrangler

Sep 13, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You have greys and partridge; they should be lovely when grown. I still don't quite understand your question, but I see nothing wrong with the wings.

8. bee_wrangler

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the info! [​IMG] What I ment by the wings is, I see in your avatar the Silkie is pure white and the wings look soft and fluffy. But the white one I have has normal long thick feathers on its wings rather than soft fluffy wings and they are dark rather than white.

9. bee_wrangler

Sep 13, 2009
    I googled some pics and see now the wings on an adult are the same, just harder to see on an adult when they are all one color. Its funny, I really know nothing about chickens. Before I joined this site I thought breeds of chickens ment meat or eggs, I thought a Silkie was a type of cloth, and thought a roo was a large rat like rodent from down under lol [​IMG] This is a great site, thanks for putting up with my questions everyone [​IMG]

10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Your chicks are just lovely. They are going to grow to be very beautiful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by