Silkie Chick Question

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
So, I'm wondering....we got 12 silkie chicks last Friday. We were told they are between 2 & 3 weeks old. A couple have puff balls on the tops of their heads and the others don't. Is this because they are older? I thought maybe it had something to do with sex, but because everything I read says they are so difficult to sex this young, I was thinking maybe it had to do with age.

Thanks!
Pam

The crests dont give away the sex unfortunately. There can be 2 reasons why some have poofs and some dont. It can be either some will just have bigger crests than others. Usually if you see the poofs developing in 2 weeks, they will have a pretty big crest. Most silkies that come from breeders will get crests really early. I barely ever see crests in hatchery birds. The other reason is that some are older than others. There really isnt a way to tell.

Ohh your talking about vaults! I have a bunch of chicks with vaults and I find all the vaulted skulled ones are already developing there crests. It might just appear that they are developing more but idk A lot of people think that only pullets have vaults but that isnt true.

Thanks for your responses. It doesn't seem to be vaulted, the skull seems flat under the poof. We did get them all from a breeder our area. There were about 20 chicks and we took 12 of them
smile.png

Quote:
Hi Pam,
I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought your silkies from in CT. I too live in New Haven County, Connecticut but, am having difficulty finding them. I just recently lost a hen right after I bought her.
Thank you
Beth

Beth G. :

Quote:
Hi Pam,
I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought your silkies from in CT. I too live in New Haven County, Connecticut but, am having difficulty finding them. I just recently lost a hen right after I bought her.
Thank you
Beth

I purchased them from a woman in Wrentham, Ma. This is the craigslist ad w/a phone number: http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/1851035975.html

In case the link doesn't work, the number is 508 384 6633.​

So, I took a better look at their heads last night and I now believe that they are, in fact, vaulted. Thanks so much!!

I have a beautiful young silikie im looking to trade for a hen or just to get rid of as we cant habe any roosters where I live due to neighbors he isent that loud but I cant take the chance, hes black with gold on his head/neck here he is

Back
Top Bottom