Silkie chick questions!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 15, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Well if you ready last thread. You know that I have silkie chicks coming soon!! I'm so excited but I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about them!!! Like are they really as easy to tame as people say they are? And I have heard that there is not a single silkie that is mean!! That's why I want them so bad because I have tried taming my other bantams but, no luck!! So I am hoping that some one will have some information to help me out here!! Any info at all!! Thanks!!

2. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Silkies are known for their friendly temperment. They are very docile and calm so Silkies make good pets. Hens are also broody, and make great mom. They are okay layers but they only lay about 3 eggs a week. Hope this helps!

-Shannon [​IMG]

3. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a few Silkies in my flock, I love them so much. My hen is great and a great mama. I really don't think she has a mean bone in her whole body. I hatched out 2 Silke roos a few years back (brothers), Mind you a few years back I was much less knowledgeable about chickens [​IMG] Anyway, my Black Silkie roo is my only survivor (I think he killed his brother over the hens.) Aside from the fact that my rooster does not really like anyone in the coop or run (he does not act aggressivly he just vocalizes his being upset) other than me, he is a real sweetheart. He is very good and nurturing with chicks too. I have placed chicks out there with him from hens that hatched them, to ones I incubated, and even ones I have gotten from other people. He has taken them all under his wing (no pun intended LOL) and raised them as his own, he protects them and teaches them, the chicks could not ask for a better father. Thinking about that makes me jealous LOL I wish some human fathers were as good as some silkie fathers LOL.[​IMG] Good Luck
    Quote:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    However just remember that they are still animals and even they have off days.[​IMG]

5. deako

deako New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    silkies are great as pets and are superb broodies they can go broody to much though but are better than the most expensive bator

deako:rolleyes:

6. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I have two silkies in my flock, Stewie the roo and Topper the hen.

Topper (named for her cute little hat) is a sweet little thing. She's very friendly and sweet.

Then there's Stewie. He was named after the Family Guy baby. Then I realized there were other implications to his name that fit better. He's the errant child of the flock. Not really mean but a bit ornery. The alpha roo had to put him in his place on a regular basis. He reminds me of that kid in school that just couldn't behave to save his life. Sort of ADHD. But we love him anyway. He's our "Special" child! He has high aspirations though. His "favorite" is a huge Cochin named Marilyn. She just tolerates him and then runs him off. He's so in love that he keeps coming back only to be rejected over and over again. Poor Stewie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by