Silkie chick seems distressed, dirty vent, not diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joconnor, May 28, 2010.

1. joconnor

joconnor New Egg

May 28, 2010
    I have a 1.5 week old silkie chick who seems to be in a lot of distress -- near constant crying.
    She/he has a dirty vent, which keeps getting dirty after cleaning.
    The feces ooze out, not squirt, so I don't think this is diarrhea.
    This has been going on for a couple days and hasn't passed.

Food -- medicated chick starter from the local feed store, fresh 10lb bags
    Water -- well water (it has been analyzed as safe for human consumption by a professional lab)
    Additives -- some chicken vitamin and electrolytes added to the drinking water about half the time
    Living conditions -- budgie cage with wood shavings on the floor, cleaned daily, in my bathroom tub with a heat lamp nearby (they don't seemed to be chilled, huddling near the light)

The cage-mate (another silkie of same age and source) is doing fine, not crying, and no dirty vent.

I'm new to the chicken scene, so my observations aren't entirely guaranteed to be right -- I've never seen diarrhea in chickens, so I'm guessing what it is like.

The chick doesn't appear to be in imminent danger of expiring, but the little guys probably don't give a whole lot of warning, I'm guessing.

The chick is from a reputable local breeder who is gone for the long weekend.

Thanks,
    Jim O'Connor
    Kenai, Alaska

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry your lil one is dealing with this .. lets bump this up and get some help for you...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by