Silkie chick sexing.. too early ?

romeypw

Hatching
Feb 16, 2017
Melbourne

Hi guys!
I have a little Silkie chick here that hatches on January 18th.
I was wondering if it is possible to sex them now as I'm not allowed to keep him if he is a rooster so would love to know ASAP so I can find a nice home for him
Is it too early to know?
Thank you!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I understand that silkies are notoriously difficult to sex. I'd say, from what i have read, that it is far too early to give a sound gender ID. Posting a pic after 3-4 months on the gender ID forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this should hopefully give you some idea. I'm sure that there must be a silkie thread (use the search box) and the breed experts there may be able to advise further.

Good luck
CT

Would you please post a photo of chick facing forward so we can see size & extent of comb? Put "Silkie thread," in the searchbox and it will pop up.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope your Silkie turns out to be female so you can keep her!

G’Day from down under romeypw
frow.gif
Welcome!

Yep, I agree, definitely too early to tell on that little one. Very cute though!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi guys !
Wow what a welcome- thank you! I look forward to learning lots about all your chickens and thank you for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom