Silkie Chick spry but postured like a frog

only1bgirl

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oregon
I have a Silkie Chick that is about nine hours old and can't seem to get in a prone position. Quite active and is doing a shuffle dragging its tail on the bottom incubator. Should I be doing something to correct this? Will post photo next.

I wish I could load a video directly to this post but I can't. It won't be up on Vimeo for another 30 minutes. It's like the chick is dragging its bottom and doing a weird shuffle with its feet. I can pick up chick and it's feet drop down, so her thighs are not impinged anyway. I can put her with her feet under her and she pushes up, then goes back to frog position. Very vocal and quite active, seems a bit chubby though compared to other chicks.

Ah! I had a duckling like that. I stuck him in a mug standing up with a little paper towel around him to help hold him up for 24 hours. It strengthened his legs to the point that hes now running around perfectly :)

Tried to tape the chicks legs, that didn't go so well, poor thing kept falling over with its feet behind and could not get on its feet at all. Seemed to encourage the legs out front sitting position. Plus the poor thing was peeping VERY loudly. I took the tape off thinking I'd try in the morning. Helped chick to water and a bit of food and went to sleep. This morning she is standing on her own a bit wobbly but standing and sleeping with her feet under her!

This chick is doing well now, walking and running around good. She was a little plump compared to the others so it took her almost two days to find her feet.

Back
Top Bottom