1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Chick spry but postured like a frog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by only1bgirl, Sep 4, 2014.

1. only1bgirl

only1bgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    I have a Silkie Chick that is about nine hours old and can't seem to get in a prone position. Quite active and is doing a shuffle dragging its tail on the bottom incubator. Should I be doing something to correct this? Will post photo next.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    A video would help too....

3. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    I wish I could load a video directly to this post but I can't. It won't be up on Vimeo for another 30 minutes. It's like the chick is dragging its bottom and doing a weird shuffle with its feet. I can pick up chick and it's feet drop down, so her thighs are not impinged anyway. I can put her with her feet under her and she pushes up, then goes back to frog position. Very vocal and quite active, seems a bit chubby though compared to other chicks.

4. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    She is sitting on her tail.

5. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon

Here's the video

6. BlueMoon-N-Farm

BlueMoon-N-Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Ah! I had a duckling like that. I stuck him in a mug standing up with a little paper towel around him to help hold him up for 24 hours. It strengthened his legs to the point that hes now running around perfectly :)

7. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    Tried to tape the chicks legs, that didn't go so well, poor thing kept falling over with its feet behind and could not get on its feet at all. Seemed to encourage the legs out front sitting position. Plus the poor thing was peeping VERY loudly. I took the tape off thinking I'd try in the morning. Helped chick to water and a bit of food and went to sleep. This morning she is standing on her own a bit wobbly but standing and sleeping with her feet under her!

8. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    This chick is doing well now, walking and running around good. She was a little plump compared to the others so it took her almost two days to find her feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by