Silkie Chick Talkative

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SurbFarmGirl, Feb 21, 2016.

1. SurbFarmGirl

SurbFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    I have my first silkie chick ... he/she is 4 days old ... but he/she is sooooooooooooooooo vocal! When I hold he/she ...it doesn't stop chirping. Is this a normal tendency of this breed?? Just curious :) My others aren't near this talkative.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I've not noticed that myself with mine.do you think the chick is warm enough? Does it only do that when held?Not sure why it would be so vocal? could be it's afraid? Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully once it settles in it will calm down.

3. SurbFarmGirl

Apr 9, 2015
    Usually only when we hold her. She doesn't seem scared ... cause she can be all nestled in my neck and still chirping away. Lol

4. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    There is something wrong if the chick keeps peeping. I hope you have other chicks with it? Brooder should be 95F and you she have a new chick on paper towels with food sprinkled. Too young to be put on shavings.

I hope this helps!

5. SurbFarmGirl

Apr 9, 2015
    She's quiet when in brooder and yes she's in with 3 others. Just seems strange that she's so talkative when we hold her.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess is she's calling to the other chicks when you pick her up or she's complaining that you picked her up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by