SILKIE CHICK THREAD!!!!! POST YOUR BABY CHICKS HERE!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenBantam, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ChickenBantam

ChickenBantam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi, I just got 2 baby silkie chicks. I thought it would be cool to see some other silkie chicks. I have 1 partridge chick and 1 blue chick. I'm so lucky I got a blue 1! I think they are the prettiest. So please post your chick!! Btw the blue chick is named Sancho and the partridge chick is named Robin:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ooooh you got a splash! Lucky! I think they are the cutest.

I have 2 buffs - Tessah & Liu, 2 blacks - Jet & Arietty, and one white, Lola. Ruffles the black frizzle is in there too.

3. i miss my silkie, i love the splash!!

4. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    yeah this is lola the second i learned the hard way that flightless chicken + unexperienced chicken sitter = chicken dinner for the bob cat. [​IMG]But these will be only free ranged under careful supervision. I'm excited about the buff b/c i've never seen one in person. I think we should post pics of them when they are all grown up after they get their baby pics posted. 'Cause I want to see that splash... [​IMG]

5. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    I was ordering some cayuga ducklings and needed another bird to make the minimum purchase and so added a Blue silkie... never had silkies before <i've never kept ducks either> we had chickens when I was young and remember the huge white rooster trying to kill me <G>

I'll have to post my baby silkie when it arrives... just ordered today so we'll see how long it takes to get them!

I now wish I'd ordered a couple more silkies!!

6. ChickenBantam

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi, sorry about the loss of your chicken:( I lost my bantam white silkie hen harry last month to a raccoon attack:( But anyway I wanted to know what you guys meant about the splash? Which chick are you talking about? I think your talking about my blue chick, I thought she was a blue silkie. Is she a splash? Is she the one your talking about? Oh and thanks for answering everyone!!! And thanks for the pics, they're adorable!!!

7. if you have a batch of blue silkie chicks a certain amount will be blue the rest splash

s/he can be a splash or blue, just gotta wait and see

8. ChickenBantam

Dec 8, 2011
    Cool:) Thanks for letting me know. Can't wait until she gets her adult feathers! Oh and I'll post a pic for you guys to see when she does.

9. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    The blue gene works like this: Blbl=blue BlBl = splash blbl=black so blue times blue = 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black.

blue hen

blue rooster
    Bl bl
    Bl BlBl (splash) Blbl (blue)
    bl Blbl (blue) blbl (black)

Splash looks like white with blue spots & your chick looks like a splash I think because I've seen photos of blue chicks that are entirely blue and then these ones like yours- but we'll wait and see. Splash really is beyond cute but blue is very pretty too. Definitely not black that's for sure! You can see how dark my black chicks are.

10. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Love seeing the babies! I am waiting on two white, two buff and two splash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by