Silkie chick too fussy? Swaddle legs maybe? [pics/vids included]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyShred, Jan 25, 2009.

1. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey guys - I have hatched 2 silkie chicks this morning and they are very active. However, each have my concern for different reasons. First of all, the black one (2nd hatched - 4 hours ago) is VERY cranky and wild. He hasn't stopped peeping since he hatched and he tires himself out quickly doing so. I just don't want something to be wrong with him . . . I have posted a vid of him on youtube - link below:

The other chick is the first to hatch (this morning at 7:00 am) and he is calm compared to the other one. My concern with him is that he tends to walk on his knees and sit on his butt and he backs up a lot. I'm worried it may be mild swaddle legs. He CAN walk foward and stand straight up though, but its only when he wants to. Link of vids of him below:

A vid of both chicks is below:

Maybe I'm just a nervous Mom! lol but seriously if I need to tape his legs for him to walk better I will. Just let me know. He's strong and he's a fighter and I refuse to cull him with him being that strong.

Pics below:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=151762919&albumID=2321384&imageID=31432549

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=151762919&albumID=2321384&imageID=31432451

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=151762919&albumID=2321384&imageID=31432469

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Looks to me like they both have spraddle legs. When you tape their legs I would put a little paper towel on the sticky part that will be on their legs since they have the feathered legs. That's what I did with mine and that way it doesn't hurt when you take it off. Cut the band aid in half lengthwise or it will be WAY to wide. Good luck. Otherwise they both look pretty good. I think that fluffy one is adorable! Good luck with them!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    BTW it only took mine about three days to heal up and he was REALLY bad where he was doing the splits and could not walk hardly at all. Yours don't look quite as bad so hopefully it will only take a few days to work. There are pictures on here someplace on how to do it if you need to know how.

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't look like the 1 chick has spraddle leg. I just hatched Silkie chicks this past Thursday and one chick did/does have spraddle leg. They are both adorable!! [​IMG]

Here is a link to the spraddle leg site that I went to for help:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

5. LadyShred

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone,

The black one just hatched in the vid - he had a wire floor to learn to walk on. Would that make a difference? And they both tend to back up against a wall and prop themselves up, like their teaching themselves how to use their legs - they seem to be getting better and stronger over time.

I don't have a problem taping their legs at all - it's just so late tonight and I want to be able to keep a watch on them. How well do they do when the splints are first put on?

Who recommends that I should put the splints on tonight? Should I put it on both babies? Should I wait until the morning?

I'm just a little nervous, that's all.

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wait a little bit. They are BRAND NEW, so they are going to be more clumsy at first. After a day or two, they seem to get the hang of their legs and are less wobbly.

7. LadyShred

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    This morning they are doing a lot better. Though still quite wobbly, they are eating and they are interested in drinking (more interested in the water on the tip of my finger than the water in the bowl lol!). BTW i finally put water in there with them this morning because I didn't want them fallingin it before. For a watering trough, I used a lego . . . works perfectly, at least for the first few days. The black one isn't as fussy and I think they got a good night's sleep last night. I have a "red" bulb over them to give the illusion of darkness but at the same time I can watch them without them noticing too much of a light anywhere.

Thanks for the help. I have to go to work in a bit, so I can't take a film this morning, but I will keep you guys updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by